Welcome to Deidre's Dream

An unsupported bicycle ride across America to benefit cancer survivors and their families 
Click here if you would like to support our effort

What it's about

Help me help cancer survivors to Livestrong like my wife Deidre did. Deidre was a woman who accomplished anything she set her mind to. Neither chemotherapy nor radiation slowed her down. Her love of life, family, and friends will never be surpassed.

When she decided to take up cycling, it lead to dozens of centuries (100 mile ride in one day). When she decided to learn to swim competently it lead to her winning her age group in the 2006 Los Angeles County Triathlon Championship Series.

When she decided to be a mother and wife, she set an example for the rest of the world with her capacity for love, caring, nurturing, and support.

Please help me continue Deidre's legacy of love and living life at it's fullest by supporting my ride across America and contributing to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Chris Bredenberg, our friend and neighbor from Santa Fe, and I will be riding from San Diego, CA to St. Augustine, FL beginning on or about May 10, 2008. We are aiming at a 35 day crossing. Our ride distance will be approximately 3,200 miles.

Our efforts won't bring us the pain and doubt that comes with a cancer diagnosis. Though diminishing over time, as life returns to something a little more predictable and with an ever more urgent need to live it, none the less the doubt is ever present. Deidre's courage and relentless fight to live continues to inspire me, and others who knew her.

Deidre died September 10, 2007 after a long and brave battle lasting nine and one half years but she lives in the hearts of all who knew and love her.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 29 Shepherd, TX to Kirbyville, TX

June 7

Shepherd, TX to Kirbyville, TX

93.5 Miles
1060 ft of climbing

Map:


http://www.mapitpronto.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=routePlanner.viewDBRide&rideID=1835
(cont.)


Happy birthday to Chris
Happy birthday to Chris
Happy birthday dear Chris
Happy birthday to Chris


It was another great day to ride. We decided to splurge and have breakfast at Happy Days Diner rather than a particularly thin looking lobby breakfast. Happy Days was a bit more what we are accustomed to than Sally's.

People ask what we're doing everywhere we go now. We've probably acquired an air of approachability. It's really nice.

In the parts of Texas we've been you always walk your check to the register. As I walked past a table, I stopped and talked with three older gentlemen. We had a very pleasant conversation. One fellow said, you know Kirbyville is where Walker Lumber started (I think it was Walker). I said, "I understand Kirbyville was the site of a showdown and gun battle between the Texas Rangers and two feuding families". He said, "yah, maybe, I guess, but it's where Walker started". I answered, "I didn't know that. I'll be darned".

Another of the men asked how we ended up at that diner because he knew it was a bit off the route. I told him about the hotel clerk's recommendation and how last night I stopped us at the first place that said diner. He smiled a knowing smile and said, "I'll bet this is more to your taste".

We are perpetually wet. We had some light showers fall on us a couple of times today. It's refreshing in the way a cool shower can be but there is no drying out. We are absolutely soaked all the time. When we go inside an air conditioned space it feels great for a minute but it's not long before we're shivering cold.

I don't know if we can really keep hydrating sufficiently. It doesn't seem possible considering sweat rate. I do notice I feel better keeping the electrolytes going too. Both of our organic machines are running strong and smoothly and the last two days have been good, fun, fast riding. Today we rode the last fifteen miles averaging better than eighteen miles per hour.

The wind continues to blow but we're only exposed to it ten percent or so of the time so it's not a significant factor. The rollers (hills) are now five feet of rise over a couple of hundred feet. So shallow it's just a gear or two. It's great riding in the big ring (the highest gear in the front) all day long. The bikes are working well too.

It's our last night in Texas. Ironically it's a dry county so no birthday beer.

When we got to the motel, I asked if they had a guest laundry. The woman at the desk said no and pointed me down the street. Chris and I showered and took our dirty clothes and walked. We could have ridden our bikes but our seats are so saturated with chamois cream and sweat, it's the last place I want to put my clean shorts (and self).

We got to the Laundromat at 7:50 to read a sign that said "doors locked at 7:45 PM". That meant we were too late when we got to town 6:30.

We decided to eat and figured we'd sink wash what we needed when we got back. On the way back from dinner I told Chris I'd go to ten bucks to use the machines they wash motel items with. He went and asked and our new friend Patel washed, dried, and folded our laundry for five bucks.

I think Texas is a good place to be from. It was a beautiful route with some excellent climbing and some of the nicest people in the country. They'll tell you that and then go on to prove it.

We're looking forward to the cultural change coming in Cajun country. I told Chris it will be even more wet with black water bayous lining the road.

We hit two thousand miles today. The next milestone is the border of Louisiana, twenty five miles away, then the Mississippi.

I was so glad to read a comment that my nieces are following our journey. From both of us, thank you all again for your support.

More fun tomorrow.

2 comments:

Julie S said...

Hi Kirk. I've been following all along, but only just posting a comment now. I especially enjoy reading about all the kind people you are meeting. Renews one's faith in the basic goodness of humankind. This is an awesome thing you are doing. Take care, and we love you lots. -- Your aunt Julie

Unknown said...

Dear Chris, happy belated birthday wishes. We just got back from Germany, on a good but much less adventuresome trip than yours. We are so impressed with your trip! Wow, its an experience of a lifetime. I enjoy reading Kirk's reports. All the best to you both!
Jane (and Peter Reinkordt)